Archive for August, 2011

Basement Mold Removal

Basement mold removal is crucial to maintaining a healthy home. Since mold thrives in dark and humid places with poor ventilation, the rapid growth of these fungi in basements is inevitable.

To prevent mold from damaging your basement and spreading to other areas of your home, you have to find an effective way to remove it and prevent it from coming back before everything is too late.

The dangers of mold infestation

Prolonged exposure to mold may cause respiratory problems, sinus and nasal congestion, sore throat, skin irritation, and other troubling symptoms. Since most mold spores are very small, they can easily penetrate the lungs and lead to several health risks.

Children, pregnant women, and individuals with existing respiratory problems are also of higher risk for developing adverse health effects due to mold exposure.

As airborne mold spores are produced, allergic reactions to mold are also heightened. For this reason, basement mold removal is essential to protecting the health of your family.

Aside from being notorious health hazards, mold growth can severely damage your indoor air quality. Mold spores can instantly multiply by millions and affect every person living in your house. These volatile compounds may also cause a musty, unpleasant odor that can make entire rooms or huge sections of your house seem uninhabitable.

It will also cause permanent damage to your upholstery, wooden furniture, and wallpapers. As mold spores germinate inside them, their minerals will begin to break down and soften. In worst cases, the removal of an entire colony of mold may require the complete replacement of wall boards and ceilings.

Basement mold removal the basics

Mold grows on organic and moist materials so it is likely to grow on areas wet by flooding, water leaks, and humidity levels that are about 70% and above. This is the reason why basements are more prone to mold growth than other areas of the home.

Since prolonged exposure to mold may cause respiratory problems and even death in extreme cases, you have to take proper safety precautions before attempting to remove mold colonies yourself. Wear a long-sleeve shirt pants, a pair of rubber gloves, and safety goggles with no vent holes in order to protect you from the dangers of inhaling mold spores.

After taking the necessary precautions prior to basement mold removal, you should also consider sorting all of the items stored in your basement. Get the hard items such as metal, hard toys, and wooden furniture and place them on an old tarpaulin laid out on your yard.

Use a water hose to rinse off the mold, mud, and dirt from the items and pour the solution of one cup oxygen bleach and one gallon warm water into the items. Launder fabric, clothing, and all of the other washable items in a mixture of water, detergent, and vinegar. Throw porous items such as pictures, boxes, and papers and tightly close their garbage bags.

Some chemicals used for basement mold removal may do more harm than good because they can fill your home with toxic residue and fumes. Oxygen bleach is a safer alternative because they can remove mold without releasing harmful chemicals to your home.

Never forget to wear protection gear during mold removal activities. To remove mold which is deep inside walls or wood structure you will probably want to consider calling for professional help because bleach cannot clean this type of mold.

After eliminating the mold from your basement, you should also take necessary steps to prevent them from coming back. Try to keep your basement as dry as possible by running a dehumidifier in your basement to reduce humidity level.

These are only some of the things you need to remember when removing  colonies from your home. Although basement mold removal requires a lot of hard work, your efforts will be worth it once you have managed to maintain a healthy and mold-free house.