Archive for November, 2011

Water Damage Mold – What Is It?

How dangerous can water damage mold actually be? Is it easy to get rid of when first observed?

These are two good questions every homeowner may pose when mold occurs due to the presence of clean water, for example, coming from a burst pipe. Most people believe that water damage mold removal is a safe project that can be easily handled.

This might be so if the infected area is quite small, but if the house has been inundated with flood waters, or contaminated water, the best choice is to call upon professionals to effect a successful clean up.

There are certain factors concerning water damage mold to take into consideration when attempting to handle removal personally.

Water Damage Mold Identification

When observing a green-black staining on walls, ceilings, floors or other areas, this is typically what is called a toxic mold infestation. Technical term for water damage mold is Stachybotrys chartarum, which is also known as Stachybortrys atra, commonly referred to as black mold.

Although less common than other types of household molds such as Aspergillus and Clodosporium, black mold presents increased health risks to many individuals.

Water damage mold affects people already suffering from allergies or asthma plus people exhibiting other immune deficiencies causing respiratory problems. It produces eye and skin irritation. It also causes a great deal of congestion in very sensitive individuals. A need for a dehumidifier is possible if the room humidity is more than 40 percent.

Why is Water Damage Mold So Dangerous?

Black mold is considered much more dangerous than other types of household mold because when occurring after a home is flooded, removal contractors ask families to evacuate the premises. This is because flood waters are usually contaminated, specifically from sewage.

This is the main reason that all homeowners suffering flood damage need to call upon a professional for clean up services. The process will be far beyond the typical resources any homeowner can possess. The job has to be done by certified contractors and, in many locations, is required by law.

Professional Treatment to the Rescue

Once all standing water has been removed through a professional using high-powered vacuums and sucker pumps, the building is then dried and dehumidified. Then the mold visible on walls, floors, ceilings and other areas will be treated with a solution of borax and hydrogen peroxide or possibly just bleach and water depending on the severity. Water-stained areas also need to be properly disinfected as well.

This will prevent any further mold growth. Walls will then need to be coated with a base primer and then repainted. Unfortunately, all affected insulation needs to be replaced even if a small amount. Attempts at cutting out small spots where mold appears might be unsuccessful. Therefore, it is always recommended that all of the insulation be replaced.

Hidden Areas Examined and Treated

Experienced water damage mold removal professionals know to look in wall and floor cavities for mold occurrence. Areas such as subflooring and carpet backing need to be replaced and never restored. This is an area that needs to be left up to experienced professionals since it is more difficult to detect.

Ultimately, depending upon the services of a professional water damage mold expert will save money in the long run.


Next Page »